A sample text widget

Etiam pulvinar consectetur dolor sed malesuada. Ut convallis euismod dolor nec pretium. Nunc ut tristique massa.

Nam sodales mi vitae dolor ullamcorper et vulputate enim accumsan. Morbi orci magna, tincidunt vitae molestie nec, molestie at mi. Nulla nulla lorem, suscipit in posuere in, interdum non magna.

Influenza A H1N1 News Update 2nd July 2009

influ1

Taken from Rano

Source www.brudirect.com

graph1

graph2

Disease Edges Up Towards 100

Breaking News:

Bandar Seri Begawan – Swine flu claimed its first victim in Brunei today as a 12-year-old child died in the hospital this morning as the cases inched towards the 100 mark since the first outbreak here on June 20.
A Health Ministry press release said that laboratory tests confirmed that the child was tested positive for Influenza A (H1N1).
The ministry is investigating the background of the patient’s H1N1 infection.
The press statement added that the patient also had Auto-immune Hepatitis end stage liver failure and pneumonia and has been in critical condition since June 26.
The pandemic set another record here today as the most number of people so far in a day – 27 new ones – brought the total in the sultanate so far reached 93 cases. All these cases are being investigated, the ministry said.
As the situation deteriorated strict controls have been imposed in hospital visiting hours. The ministry said that In view of the increasing number of reported cases, it emphasized the importance of the public in adhering to the visiting regulations at all government hospitals.
The public are told not to bring children aged 12 and below to visit patients. They are only to visit during the stipulated visiting hours and to limit two visitors for every patient.
For those who have just returned from overseas or showing symptoms of Influenza A (H1N1), are advised not to visit patients in the hospital.
Meanwhile so far 21 patients have been discharged from Pengiran Muda Mahkota Pengiran Muda Haji Al-Muhtadee Billah Hospital, Tutong, the statement said.
It also gave a situation summary of cases as of today:

1)    Cases in different age groups:-

  • 58.4% of the reported cases are made up of people of ages 20 years and below
  • 36.4% of them are in between the ages of 20 and 40 years of age
  • 5.2% involves those above the age of 40

2)    Current epidemiological study showed the history of infection:-

  • 56% cases had travel history to other countries (ie. United Kingdom, Kuala Lumpur, Kota Kinabalu, Johor, Lawas, Bintulu, Miri, Labuan, Singapore, Philippines and Laos)
  • 25.8% cases were through contact
  • 18.2% cases are not yet known and is still being investigated

The ministry continued to advise the public, who have recently returned from affected countries within the past seven days, and having symptoms, to seek immediate medical attention. It was also advisable to reduce social activities and crowded places such as:

  • Community gatherings
  • Shopping centers
  • Markets
  • Stalls
  • Restaurants
  • Cinemas
  • Swimming pools and the like

The public could also help to prevent the spread of respiratory infections by maintaining good personal hygiene the statement said.

  • They should wash your hands regularly with soap and water and dry them using disposable tissue or the like
  • Use alcohol-based disposable hand wipes or gel sanitizers if there are no hand washing facilities
  • Cover your nose and mouth when you sneeze or cough and discard used tissue in the dustbin
  • Avoid people who has influenza like symptoms and
  • Avoid from going to crowded places

For further enquiries and information, the public may contact the Healthline 145 during office hours and 8220991 after working hours.

Comments are closed.